Atherosclerosis occurs due to impaired lipid metabolism and is accompanied by the deposition of cholesterol in the inner layer of blood vessels. The progressive growth of atherosclerotic plaque ultimately leads to a critical narrowing of the arterial lumen and the occurrence of ischemic changes in tissues and organs.
The condition of the pathological process is the accumulation of lipids in the vascular wall, which is facilitated by:
- obesity ;
- diabetes mellitus ;
- diet disorders;
- hypertension ;
- hereditary predisposition;
- lack of exercise.
Symptoms of Atherosclerosis
Signs of atherosclerotic vascular lesions depend on the location of the plaques. These can be various diseases:
- intermittent claudication;
- coronary heart disease ;
- a stroke ;
- mesenteric thrombosis.
Treatment of vascular atherosclerosis begins with high-quality laboratory and instrumental diagnostics :
- conducting a biochemical blood test with determining the ratio of lipid fractions;
- arteriography ;
- auscultation of the heart;
- chest x-ray ;
- ultrasound examination of the heart ;
- Dopplerography of the vessels of the limbs .
Therapy of atherosclerosis is characterized by a combination of drug and non-drug methods for correcting a pathological condition, selected by a doctor :
- the appointment of lipid – lowering drugs;
- rejection of bad habits;
- normalization of body weight;
- maintaining psychological comfort;
- carrying out endovascular surgical interventions.
Patients with atherosclerosis should abandon:
- fatty meat, fat;
- fatty dairy products;
With atherosclerotic vascular damage, the development of:
- myocardial infarction ;
- ischemic stroke;
- hemorrhagic stroke;
- gangrene of the limb.
The risk of developing the disease is high in people who:
- lead a sedentary lifestyle;
- eat a lot of animal fats;
- experiencing serious psychological stress;
- are overweight.
To prevent the development of the disease should:
- quit smoking and alcohol;
- give preference to outdoor activities;
- include as many fruits and vegetables as possible in the diet;
- Use relaxation techniques that help relieve stress.